ICT(Information and Communication Technology) Curriculum
Information and Communication Technology has made rapid advances and is evolving constantly.
Two computer labs incorporating latest technology are provided for the use of students. The internet is a repository of information for easy reference and this is used extensively by teachers and students to keep abreast of latest developments. Students work regularly on technology to present academic projects.
The computer curriculum for classes 4 to 10 is designed in house. The curriculum includes learning software tools, cyber safety, thinking- out –of- the -box activities, team activities. The cover page of the computer project manual is designed by students.
Fresh ideas are incorporated into the curriculum framework to enthuse students and thus lay a firm foundation for learning advanced concepts.
- The curriculum integrates various popular software packages like MS PowerPoint, Scratch, Pivot Stick Animator, MS Word, Q BASIC, LOGO, Python, MS Excel with appropriate themes. This ensures familiarity with both programming theories as well as graphic designing effects.
- High school curriculum is designed to make the student more proficient in technology that can be applied to academics. Software like Publisher which is useful for creating brochures and other professional artwork, HTML, instrumental in web page designing, is taught in Class 8.
- Learning Visual Basic enforces programming literacy while learning Photoshop triggers visual thinking in students of Class 9.
- Flash, which aids in creating superior animation along with C Programming Language concepts, is offered to students in Class 10.
The computer curriculum is systematic and is instrumental in honing thinking and organizational skills in students. There is a gradual assimilation and application of concepts learnt in lower classes as students move to higher classes. Every class has one module encompassing computer programming and this evidently builds the students’ logical and thinking skills as they graduate to classes 11 and 12.
The CBSE board prescribes co scholastic education as part of the syllabus that contributes to the holistic development of the child. As part of this program, the school has developed an online learning module in association with an external agency.
Prepmyskills is a platform that enables learning and updating of skills, to meet the demands of the fast changing world. For students of classes 6- 10, financial management and value system modules have been exclusively created for Kumaranites by the organization – Fugo Creative.
The value system module deals with topics like respect for the country, scientific thinking, peace and harmony while the financial module deals with banking concepts ,stocks & shares, mutual funds etc. Students are able to study the course material at their pace in the comfort of their homes.
Mindspark is a computer based self-learning programme that helps the child improve her skills in Mathematics. The interactive interface ensures that the student is not learning passively by listening to someone, or viewing ready-made solutions, but learning by answering questions of progressively increasing complexity levels.
An advantage of Mindspark is that it harnesses the power of new technologies to bolster learning. An intelligent computer system uses a complex adaptive logic to decide what problem to serve up to a student next, based on the students’ response to problems.
The self paced learning allows students to get the doubts with the help of explanations where needed.
Detailed Assessment aims at making a difference in the assessment process by providing assistance to teachers so that they can focus on their core competency as well as provide greater insight into topic misconceptions in students and how they can improve upon them for a brighter future with strong fundamentals. Detailed Assessment, a topic-wise testing tool, aims at providing immediate feedback to teachers on the current level of student understanding on the topics taught and completed in the classroom.
DA as a tool is aligned with the school curriculum and presents immediate detailed feedbacks on individual student performance.
The main benefits of Detailed Assessment are:
- Regular tests that identify if there are any learning gaps in a topic taught.
- Immediate results help teachers address the learning gaps immediately.
- Best practices based on deep research, are available to the teacher after every test. This helps in effective remediation
- Customized guidelines to improve the performance are provided with every test to the student
Each test is followed up with a customized report for students and a detailed report for the teacher which will help her quickly remediate the portions that are not clear to the students. Students take these tests online in the school.